Ashtanga Yoga is a graceful, athletic type of yoga that has become extremely popular in recent years. Here, Kino MacGregor, a disciple of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, the great modern guru who developed Ashtanga Yoga, gives a comprehensive view of the practice and shows how Ashtanga is fundamentally a path of spiritual transformation and personal development.
MacGregor delves into the history and tradition of Ashtanga Yoga and reveals how its philosophy manifests in contemporary lifestyle and dietary choices. She also explains the essential connection of breath, posture, and gaze that is the core of the practice. Her clear, step-by-step instruction of the Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series—including standing, seated, backbending, twisting, hip-opening, and closing postures—is a wonderful initiation for those who are new to the practice, and it will motivate experienced yogis toward perfection of the form. Throughout, MacGregor shares her own personal yoga journey and her devotion to yoga as a path of self-realization in a way that will inspire all practitioners.
About The Power of Ashtanga Yoga
- 217 pages
Contents of The Power of Ashtanga Yoga
- getting started with Ashtanga History and Tradition
- Heart of the method: Breath, Pose and Gaze
- The Ashtanga Yoga Diet
- The spiritual Journey Of Asana: Yoga beyond bending
- Sun Salutation: Where it all begins
- Standing Poses: Build your Foundation
- Seated Poses: Grow your Lotus
- Backbends: Open your Heart
- Finishing Poses: Entering the inner space
- Strength: The yoga of true power
- Apendixes: Mantra's, Sanskrit Vinyasa Count, Complete Ashtanga Yoga primary series.
About Kino MacGregor
Kino MacGregor is one of the few people in the United States to receive certification to teach Ashtanga Yoga from its founder, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. She and her husband, Tim Feldmann, are the founders of the Miami Life Center. She has produced five Ashtanga Yoga DVD's, a line of jewelry and yogamats, is the author of Sacred Fire, and is the founder of Miami Yoga Magazine. She teacher worldwide. Her website is www.kinoyoga.com.